Saturday, September 30, 2023

Rachel Wilhelm: Jeremiah

Artist: Rachel Wilhelm
Album:  Jeremiah
Release: August 18, 2023
Genre: (She says) Alt Country. (I say) Adult Contemporary with a folk-chamber underbelly)
featuring a cast of gifted musicians, including stellar guitarist, Phil Keaggy.
In or about the same week that first-time-ever recording artist, Oliver Anthony hit 20 million hits for his anthem of communal despair (Rich Men North of Richmond) the gifted queen of melancholy, Rachel Wilhelm registered ten more downloads.
(Ouch)
Forgive my lame attempt at humor.  I keep playing with a lead that captures the ethos of pathos.

Short Spin
Jeremiah the album, is a “Cliff Note” exploration of the book of Jeremiah, highlighting its key themes, with adapted verse, presented in the flow of the book

Vocalist, songsmith, and worship leader Rachel Wilhelm joins with fellow song writers, vocalist Devin Pogue, and a cast of stellar musicians (including guitarist Phil Keaggy) to give us a work of ardent, sober encouragement.  The album chases themes common to the prophets, but less common in our corporate worship, namely - our corporate depravity, and God's concrete justice.  When did you last hear a song about slaughter by the Sword? -- And yet, the album brims with joy, and God’s zeal for his wayward children. 

As per the sound.  It is lovely, crisp, jubilant or angry, bold or forlorn, in keeping with the dictates of each song.

Note: I was under an impression that guitarist Phil K. was behind just one song. (I could hear his signature style in one particular track) but thought--”My there is a lot of good guitar work here.” Turns out Phil provided backup in five of the songs. That said, the rest of the instrumental cast (Rachel, Adam Whipple, Jered McKenna, Keiko Ying, Anya-Katarina Gerber) are all phenomenal musicians.  Get ready for some quality sounds, including striking piano, crunchy banjo, galloping guitar, mourning cello, and dancing violin.
You can listen to Jeremiah on Spotify and Youtube, However, I recommend BANDCAMP. Not only can you purchase a CD or downloads, you can read the lyrics to each song. https://rachelwilhelm1.bandcamp.com/album/jeremiah


Long Play

I discovered the music of Rachel Wilhelm about six years ago through her first full length studio album, Songs of Lament. That title suggested what would be evident with her follow up work Requiem-- Rachel likes and lives in the darker shades--A place that I too find solace.

I am reminded of a conversion I had some decades ago with my mom.  I was living in an album entitled Come to the Quiet, by monastic troubadour John Michael Talbot.  My mom, a woman who liked her music robust and southern, asked me why I played such music.  “That music makes me want to kill myself.”  I, in turn, was mortified.  How is it that this lean, sober music, which filled my heart with brooding delight, really did make her sad, whereas her happy go-lucky southern gospel just sucked the joy right out of me.  Go figure.

All of which bring us to Rachel’s Jeremiah, an album anchored in weeping, woe, judgment -- and the love of a passionate groom. Concerning Jeremiah, we read on her Bandcamp page:

This album started in 2018 when City Church of Minneapolis asked Rachel to lead their songwriters and musicians in a "Jeremiah series" songwriting retreat. She taught the attendees how to write songs from scripture and they spent two days with each other, writing songs. With the completion of this retreat, the songs were featured after each sermon during the series by co-writer and worship pastor of City Church, Devin Pogue. Tracks 2, 4, 5, 7, and 8 were written during the retreat and refined afterwards. Rachel wrote track 1 after she was asked to lead the retreat, starting off the creativity.

The album was supposed to be an EP, but quickly became a full-length record as songs continued to form during the year-long recording process.


Rachel’s sung words are easy enough to understand, however I find that the art of song sometimes obscures easy comprehension.  Add to that the fact that the spokesperson behind each song keeps changing. I am not always comfortable with the idea of people speaking (or singing) for God…but it's a thing that the prophet Jeremiah does with some frequency.  He not only tells us what God is thinking, he speaks as God directly.  And so it goes, in Jeremiah (the album), many of the songs are sung directly to us (through Rachel and friends) by God himself -- A practice which must be somewhat disorienting for the singer!


On the other hand, not all the songs are sung “by God”-- some are sung by Jeremiah to God.  And so I found that I needed some 
notes to more fully absorb the flow.  Here are scratch notes I used to aid my hearing.



1) You Won’t Turn (Jeremiah 2)

Starts with the setting question: 

Where is the Lord?” not a soul has asked.

Not a prophet, shepherd or scribe who studies the law.

“Where is the Fountain of the Living God?”

They have molded the vessels themselves,

With cracks in the clay.

God indicts his people for the hardness of their hearts.  “You turn your back to me but not your face.”

* I am reminded of how I, as a married man, can lie with my back to a beautiful woman.  We may be inches apart, and miles away.


2)  Turn to Me (Jeremiah 3)

w vocalist Devin Pogue.   

God begins with “incredulity” -- Have you seen what my people have done….

God adds to his indictment, lament; “ My people, my children do not know me” 

Adding:“Call on me, and you will find peace”

 

3) My Heart is Faint (Jeremiah 8,9)

Jeremiah joins in lamentation asking “Where is the balm of Gilead, is there no healer there, no rest in this wilderness.” Jeremiah's lamentation turns to a form of prophecy.

If I could hide who I am, And walk away and leave, But you have called me to suffer, Just like a future King.


4) Far From Their Hearts (Jeremiah 12)

(Get ready for the ear worm)…  This seems to be the song that plays in my head for hours after each listen.  But the banjo, BIG guitar and happy-ish refrain might mask the heaviness of Jeremiah's query: Why do the wicked prosper?

(I am thinking the happiness may be connected to another facet of this song, the idea that God will respond to present injustice.)


5) Woe to you O Jerusalem (Jeremiah 13)


God -- Can there be a lovelier "Woe?" I have always heard Woe as a harsh word, but through the twined vocals of Rachel and Devin, Woe comes across as the pleading heart of a longing father. 


(I am reminded of Jesus as he cries out: O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing!)

                                                    


6) Vengeance with the Sword (Jeremiah 25)  


God announces his direct, immediate and concrete judgment of his people -- through the Babylonians.
--
Oh my -- the banjo.  

While my ear much appreciates the Americana ethos, I can imagine this song covered by a death metal band.     



7)  I Know The Plans (Jeremiah 27) w Devin Pogue and ensemble.


God declares, "I know the plans that I have for you, plans for a future.  Plans for your children...."


Amazing really by way of contrast to the judgment just announced.
I can easily hear this upbeat anthem made part of corporate worship.


8) On that Day (Jeremiah 30)  featuring Devin Pogue

terror and liberation twined.

God: Cries of fear are heard; cries of terror not of peace. Take a look and see every face turned deathly pale How awful that day will be but on that day you will be saved.

--

exceptional harmony/mandolin/fiddle
9)  Fear Not for I m with You  (Jeremiah 45)

Another radio friendly anthem of promise.

God declares: Fear Not for I am with you,  I ‘m not finished with you yet. ---

This Old Covenant promise sound a lot like Philippians 1:6 (He who has begun a good work in you will perform it unto the day of Christ Jesus.)



10) Daughter, Daughter (Jeremiah 50)

God pleads, whoos, affirms.
This is currently my favorite listen, not only for its gorgeous melancholy and PK guitar, but for the suggestive force of the eternal groom waiting on his bride.

D
aughter, daughter, come; Weeping, weeping, come;
There is room, there is room, come To my house,
do you know the way?  Will you seek my face?
You are worth the wait, so I’m waiting, waiting.
You may ask the way; hear me when I say:
Turn your face to the mountain, climb up and stay..
.

The album having started with our turned backs beacons us to turn full-face to the Lord.


11)  Refuge of the Weary    

Jeremiah?  (or Rachel)  offers a complex praise… and asks God to both remember and carry us.

“We might be burned, we might fall down, but we won't drown.”

On a peculiar note, the album ends not fully resolved. Now it's our turn.  Will we turn our face toward our beckoning lover?




In closing:

I have now listened to this album nearly fifty times!  And (unintended consequences) read the book a couple times! --


I have since learned that this has been a very difficult year for Rachel. I am not sure how public she is with everything, suffice it to say, she has likely had to sing many of these songs to herself.


Thank you Rachel for giving us a body of work that meets us in our brokenness, even at those times when it is hard to look God in the face.  May He be your wooing King and sustainer. May you taste of his fierce love in the place of trial.  May he supplant a current disappointment with a greater joy. Additional Links: Article by Kelsey Kramer McGinnishttps://www.christianitytoday.com/.../christian-music...

Tent Talks a podcast Chris Marchand

Rachel Wilhelm on Scriptural Songwriting: Podcast


No comments:

Post a Comment